In this post I want to show some of my understandings of the teaching technology Canva, and how does it help teachers in their classrooms. At the second part of this post, I used my poster as an example to illustrate how some learning principles can be used in creating a visual learning resource.

Canva is a graphic design platform, users can create social media graphics, posters, infographics and other visual content. It’s clear that Canva has made its way into classrooms as a technology for teachers who wish to create visually stimulating posters on classroom walls. There are many ways to use Canva in classrooms. Some teachers decorate their classrooms with posters and use posters as a way to build an engaging learning environment. Canva provides opportunities for teacher to design their new posters with content they want to show in classrooms. Moreover, it is indicated in a study that using visual content as a teaching method stimulates thinking and improves learning environment in a classroom (Shabiralyani, 2015).

With the application of some learning principles, posters can be more effective for teaching and learning.

The most important thing to look at when creating a poster is the Coherence Principle. I used this principle for my poster and I confirmed the image and information I used are necessary to help with comprehension. There is no extraneous, distracting information on my poster. I also used the Signalling Principle for my poster. I bolded words that viewers should pay most attention about for each content. I make sure that leaners will have a clear idea about the significant information on the poster.

Reference:

Shabiralyani, G., Shahzad Hasan, K., Hamad, N., & Iqbal, N. (2015). Impact of Visual Aids in Enhancing the Learning Process Case Research. Journal of Education and Practice, 6, 226-234.